A delightful combination of a whole roasted cauliflower accompanied by a rich and flavourful beetroot sauce defines this vegan-friendly main course.
What do I need?
- 1 whole Cauliflower
- 400 g beetroot, scrubbed and peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup water
How do I make it?
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Put a large oven-proof dish in the lower section of the oven, filling it three-quarters full with water. Dice the beetroot into 2-centimeter chunks, arrange on a baking tray, and drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, warm the remaining olive oil. Sauté onions until soft and translucent; then, add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Transfer beetroot, onion, garlic, lemon juice, and salt to a food processor, blending until a smooth consistency is achieved. Adjust the sauce by incorporating water to achieve your desired thickness. Set aside.
- Trim the cauliflower stalk for stability. Place the cauliflower in a roasting dish, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, massage the oil in, and season with salt. Bake for 30 minutes, followed by an additional drizzle of the remaining olive oil. Return to the oven for an extra 30 minutes (ensuring the cauliflower is easily pierced with a knife). Remove both the cauliflower and the water-filled dish from the oven.
- To serve, spoon the beetroot sauce onto a serving plate and place the roasted cauliflower on top, presenting a delightful and visually appealing dish.