A treat for the kids this Christmas, or better still get them into the kitchen to help make these cute reindeer.
What do I need?
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Brown food colouring (Made by combining red, blue, yellow & green food colouring)
- Coloured mini M&Ms in brown and red
- Black decorating gel
- 100 g milk cooking chocolate
How do I make it?
- Preheat oven to 90C.
- Whisk egg whites on low speed until frothy. Add the cornflour and beat until soft peaks form. Slowly add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time and beat until the mix is glossy and stiff peaks form. Mix through the vanilla and vinegar, followed by the brown food colouring until just combined.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and transfer meringue mixture to a piping bag. Pipe reindeer heads in an oval shape with a mound on the bottom half for the nose. Add a red or brown M&M to the mounded section. Use black decorating gel to add two dots for the eyes above the nose.
- Cook in oven for 1 ½ hours. After cooking time has finished turn off oven and leave meringues to cool for 6 hours or overnight.
- Melt cooking chocolate in microwave in 30 second bursts. Pipe antler shapes onto baking paper and leave to set.
- To attach antlers to the reindeer heads, place two antlers on baking paper and put a dollop of melted chocolate on the bottom of each antler. Place reindeer head over the dollops and leave to set. Peel away the baking paper and serve.